Thursday, November 15, 2012

Feelin' like a Kid Again

The past couple of years I haven't been all that excited for Christmas or Thanksgiving. It was just kind of a "okay, this will be fun" attitude. It wasn't anything like it was when I was a kid where I was stoked.


This year, however, I'm stoked. Whenever I think about Christmas or Thanksgiving I get a little giddy inside and can't help but smile!


There are two reasons that I've come up with as to why, this year, I suddenly can't wait for these holidays.


1. Living away from home and being at college. It just makes you more appreciative of the time with your family. And I get to spend lots and lots of time with my family during the holidays (I do normally, but this is even more)! We do Thanksgiving day (obviously) where we spend the whole day together. We play basketball in the morning, have a little snack time around noon, then eat our faces out in the afternoon! And then usually, while others go home or to in-laws, some will stick around and we will watch a movie. This year I'm hoping for 7 Brides for 7 Brothers....(anyone with me on that?) Then during December we having cookie decorating, if we can some of us drive around to see the Christmas lights, we have game nights (I haven't had one of those in a long time, so I'm looking forward to all the games people), caroling on the 3rd Sunday, fighting over and getting the Christmas tree on the 1st of December (or the Saturday closest to it), and then whatever else we decide to squeeze in there! Oh, and Temple Square (this needs to be a MUST this year).  Family family family.

2. And now for reason numero dos. This year I am more thankful for Thanksgiving, and more thoughtful when it comes to Christmas. Within the past month and half, the gospel has been a HUGE part of my life and has had an amazing impact. I've been studying the scriptures and have been trying to get the most out of it I can. I've had questions that I ask and books that I read and talks that have been such a blessing to me! I've recently really starting focusing on prayer and have actually been talking to my Heavenly Father. I have realized a part of the power of the Atonement - which is SO amazing. I'm excited to learn more about It.
      This year when I think of Thanksgiving I think of the Thanksgiving hymns, and have come to absolutely love them! I think about what I am grateful for, not just the food and fun. When I think about Christmas I think of Christ's birth and His big impact on my life before I think about presents. And I am more excited about the songs that we get to sing about Christ's birth than I am for The Chipmunk Song.
       Seriously, I can't believe how much the gospel has been an impact in my life. It makes me happy!  I wish I could tell you everything that has happened since that missionary announcement, which made me truly want to know the gospel!

{kind of random side note}
Being at a school where you say opening prayers before class, where you can have a gospel discussion about the subject you're learning, where you can put a scripture in your paper (which yes, I did) and where there are good influences all around you, is one of the biggest blessings of my life. I wish everyone could come to BYU.

{back to the point of this post}
Next year I won't be here for these holidays (crazy!). I will be serving somewhere and having a great experience. As far as the next next year (2014) I hope I get home for Thanksgiving...if not that's still okay but I'm hoping for it! :D


And that is why I'm ecstatic about the holidays!!!!!

1 comment: