Sunday, September 27, 2015

Just a Couple of Little Thoughts



Recently I read something by Richard Bushman on Joseph Smith and his call to be a prophet and his similarities to both Moses and Enoch (from the book "Joseph Smith: Rough Rolling Stone" by Richard Bushman).

Like I said, I read a section of the book comparing Joseph to Moses and Enoch and his process of coming in to the role of the prophet. It was a really interesting read. Bushman talks about how Joseph could have looked to the example of Moses and Enoch and he was translating the book of Moses in order to gain a greater understand of his role. As I sat and pondered and thought about the similarities between the three I really had an eye opener. I wish I could convey more of my thoughts on the subject and do a better job at expressing them. I feel the easiest thing would be to discuss it with others who have read it as well! So I highly recommend reading at least that section of the book.

I have been learning a little more about the book of Moses and Abraham (as well as the translation of the Bible) and I have felt a profound gratitude for these scriptures. I know them to be the word of God. They contain amazing truths. On LDS.org is talks about how in Abraham is clearly states the purpose and potential of earth life. It follows the story of Abraham in the Bible and has added important information about his teachings and his life (https://www.lds.org/topics/translation-and-historicity-of-the-book-of-abraham?lang=eng).

I know these things to be the word of God because I have received a confirming witness, for myself from the Spirit, that they are true. I join many others in inviting all to sincerely seek to know and understand for themselves.

1 comment: